Friday, January 20, 2012

Christmas Sweatshirts from 1991

Spooner and I looked at each other during the typical beat of silence following this type of question:

"What is puffy paint?"



Then the challenge presented itself, how does one explain puffy paint?  "Er, well, hmmm.... let me think. [beat]  OK, it's like this paint that comes out of little squeeze bottles, and you don't use a brush or anything, and it sort of puffs up on its surface and dries after a few hours."  Completely inadequate explanation.

We tried to use an example.  "Jon, do you remember when you were a kid and people would iron-on, like Christmas images to sweatshirts, and then they would use this paint to outline the images?"  Oh Lord, explaining this process makes the sweatshirts sound even stupider than they look (difficult to achieve, yet possible.)  In the end, Jon did not have any cob-webbed memories of puffy paint.  Neither did his contemporary and fellow Naval Flight Officer, Dan.  Also born in the mid-1980's.  Spooner and I felt and fought both the sting of old age, and the urge to make personalized t-shirts.

4 comments:

  1. Erin, this blog is brilliant. This is officially my new favorite reading material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with Laine. Also, it makes me sad that the hubs doesn't know what puffy paint is/was. I know we had this convo at the lunch table on Sunday, but it still makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. Can we get iron-ons and make puffy-paint sweatshirts when I'm visitng? Poor Jon not knowing what puffy paint is. It's the best crafting tool of the 80s/90s

    ReplyDelete